In 1867 the Chapelries of Bilton and Skirlaugh were made into separate parishes. As a result, the area covered by the parish was reduced to ca 7,000 acres.
THE SKIRLAUGH UNION
As a result of the Poor Law Reform Act of 1834, Ellerby, together with 41 other parishes and townships, became a member of the Skirlaugh Poor Law Union, formed on 25 July 1837. The Skirlaugh Union workhouse was built in 1838/9 at North Skirlaugh to house 60 inmates.
Prior to 1836, tithes (payments made by parishioners for the support of the Swine parish church and clergy) were payable in kind. The Tithe Commutation Act of 1836 (amended 1837) provided for monetary payments (tithe rentcharges) to replace the payments in kind. Tithe Commissioners were appointed to administer the Act. The Act required the drawing of accurate maps showing all the land in the parish, accompanied by a table showing the owner, occupation and description of that land. The mapping took several years to complete and the map of the “Titheable Lands in the Parish of Swine” was surveyed by Richard Iveson of Hedon and published in 1850.
At the time of Victoria’s coronation, the township of Ellerby was a dispersed hamlet with its centre around Intake, now known as “The Green”. The original “Green” was situated to the south east of modern-day Farrier’s Cottage with adjacent “allotment gardens” to its south. At the entrance to the cul-de-sac now known as “The Green”, opposite the smithy, was the pinfold. At the other end was a well.
In 1841, this essentially agricultural community was serviced by a schoolmistress, two millers, a blacksmith, a carpenter, two shoemakers, three tailors, two dressmakers, two coal sellers and a gardener.
The subsequent growth of the township, largely due to the arrival of the railway, is indicated by Bulmer‘s Directory of 1892. This listed the following trades people of the parish:
Barchard Mary, vict, Blue Bell
Barnes Joseph, vict, Railway Hotel
Beaumont William, coal dealer
Douthwaite John B, veterinary surgeon
Grantham Mrs, steam threshing machine owner
Hodgson Michael, cowkeeper
Petch Wallis, stationmaster, Burton Constable station
Smith Charles, coal exporter and commission agent: h Wood Hall
Stephenson George, corn miller, Ellerby mill
Swift Thomas, cowkeeper
Thirsk William, joiner, wheelwright and shopkeeper
Twiddle Mrs Sarah, mistress National school; Miss Twiddle, assistant
Whitehead Joseph, carrier to Hull (Tue & Fri)
Willey John Henry, stationmaster, Skirlaugh and Ellerby stations
Wylie Thomas, blacksmith
THE METHODIST CHAPEL
In 1838, the Wesleyan Methodists built a chapel in Skirlaugh Road on a site to the south of the property now called “San Marti”.
In 1876 Mr W F Bethell gave a site for a school and master’s house. A National school for both boys and girls opened in 1877. It was supported by subscriptions, “school pence”, rent received for church use of the schoolroom and from 1879-1880 by an annual government grant. In 1878 the school had an average attendance of 24, rising to around 30 in the early 1900’s.
THE MISSION ROOM
In 1889 a mission room was built in Old Ellerby to designs by Smith & Brodrick of Hull. It was built of red brick, with blue brick details, and with a roof of Wade’s patent Acorn tiles. The building, dedicated to St James, and licensed for all services, comprised an undivided sanctuary and nave with a south vestry and south porch. The foundation stone reads “This memorial stone was laid by Mrs Wade of Wood Hall July 29th 1889”. The children of the National School were given a half holiday to attend the celebration.
The Mission Room was opened on 6 November 1889. Once again, the school children were given a half holiday to attend.
In 1900 a service was held every Sunday and communion was celebrated there.
THE HULL AND HORNSEA RAILWAY
The arrival of the railway in 1864 had such a major impact upon Ellerby that we have dedicated a complete page to it. You will find that page here.
The Victorians (1837-1901)