In 1973 Yorkshire Water took over responsibility for the supply of water from Kingston upon Hull Corporation and responsibility for drainage from the Yorkshire River Authority. Yorkshire Water was privatised in 1989 and became part of the Kelda Group in 1999.
The station at Wassand was closed in 1953 from when it was only open on a market day and then served by only one train in each direction.
In 1957 diesel rail cars replaced steam trains and in January 1960 station staff were withdrawn from all the intermediate stations, tickets being issued by the guards.
Dr Richard Beeching’s proposals for the future of the railway system were published in March 1963 and consent for the closure of the line was given on 14 September 1964. The closure was authorised by the government despite a 3,000 signature petition opposing closure. The Transport Users Consultative Committee also advised that the line should not be closed since this would cause hardship for the local communities!
The last passenger train ran on 17 October 1964 and the last goods traffic was carried on 30 April 1965.
Following closure, the track was lifted. Some of the railway buildings were used as houses from 1994.
The track bed of the railway is now in the ownership of the East Riding of Yorkshire Council. The Council has provided a hard surface and designated it as a permissive bridleway, known as the Hornsea Rail trail, part of the Trans Pennine Trail.
Mr Bob Myers recalls:
The stackyard at Marton Grange (Mr Rawson’s) caught fire just after the harvest. The yard was full to capacity when an old Fordson tractor which was being driven through the yard slid on a wet surface and the hot manifold on the tractor went up against a stack which set it on fire. The flames spread in no time before the fire service arrived and the whole lot was destroyed, along with livestock in nearby buildings. That occurred in 1947 or thereabouts.
We had a cobblers shop in the village: A chap set himself up in a garage next to the bungalow on the corner of Mulberry Lane. He was there for quite a time.
At Ivy Farm, New Ellerby (down the lane at the side of the chapel) the residents in the 40’s/50’s were Ernie and Lottie Lusby. They had a small dairy herd and delivered milk in the village by pony and trap. With there being no bottles, the milk was ladled from a bucket to your jug.
We had two carriers who used horses and carts and would travel into Holderness Road. Mr Arthur Walker who lived in Gladstone Terrace, next to the Post Office, and Mr Boasman who lived in the detached bungalow right of Mulberry Lane.
If you used the fish and chip shop, the ruling was “No Chips without Fish”. It cost 7 old pennies.
Post War Ellerby (2)