Following the passing of the 1972 Local Government Act, the non-metropolitan county of Humberside came into existence on 1 April 1974. Humberside was formed from parts of the counties of the East and West Ridings of Yorkshire, part of Lindsey (Lincolnshire) and the City of Kingston upon Hull. The new county had its headquarters at Beverley and was subdivided into nine non-metropolitan districts. Ellerby lay within the jurisdiction of Holderness Borough Council, with its offices at Skirlaugh.
The new county was intended to be unified by the Humber Bridge. This was originally scheduled to open in 1977 but the bridge builders experienced substantial delays and the bridge finally opened on 24 June 1981.
Humberside was not a popular entity and the county ceased to exist on 1 April 1996 when Holderness became part of the new East Riding of Yorkshire Council. The remainder of Humberside was divided between Kingston upon Hull City Council, North Lincolnshire Council and North East Lincolnshire Council. All are unitary authorities.
Ever since the abolition Humberside, there has been an ongoing battle to persuade Royal Mail to reflect the change in its postal addresses!
Expansion of the Civil Parish (CP)
As a consequence of the substantial growth of New Ellerby, two parcels of land were transferred from Burton Constable CP to Ellerby CP. The first transfer, an area to the west of Lambwath Lane, north of its junction with Langthorpe Road, was made in 1952. The second, an area to the east of Lambwath Lane, from the railway line to Marton Lane, was transferred in 1984.
Swine Parish Church
In the summer of 2011, major repairs were made to the stonework of the tower, west window and several other parts of the masonry.
In 1960/1, W J Varley undertook excavations at Giants Hill, Swine. The hill is a ditchless earthwork, 80 feet in diameter, with an access ramp. It was found to be mainly constructed of peat with clay capping and evidence of post holes, probably for stabilisation. Some pottery was found, dating from 13c to ca. 1475. It had been previously thought that this earthen mound might be the grave of King Swain but the dig concluded that it had probably been constructed between 1350 and 1450. Its function is a subject for debate but Varley suggested that it might have been used as a lookout over the Swine nunnery deer park. It is now a listed monument.
Post War Ellerby (1)