Wood Hall was built c. 1814/15 by Hull timber merchant Henry William Maister on land purchased from the Burton Constable estate. The architect of the Italianate asymmetric “villa rustica” is thought to be Robert Lugar, a follower of Nash. Wood Hall was later occupied by Henry’s elder brother Arthur, formerly of Winestead. Henry died (in Beverley) in 1846 and the estate was sold to Sir Thomas Acton Clifford Constable Bart in 1849.
Grade II Listed Building: ID 166693
Built in the mid nineteenth century, Pevsner described the hall as “a handsome five-bay brick house with stuccoed parapet. The central bay is flanked by stucco pilasters”.
Today, the house combines a working farm with luxury bed and breakfast accommodation.
Dowthorpe also caters for lunch and dinner parties.
Pevsner wrote that the hall was built around 1830 and was “a two-storey, four-bay farmhouse with a hipped slate roof. An excellent example of the large farmhouses which were being erected in Holderness in the early 19th century. Cream brick to south and west fronts, the rest brick with a hipped slate roof. Restored 1990-1 by Anthony Blackmore who added the Tuscan portico.”
Grade II Listed Building: ID 166694
Wood Hall Farmhouse
This is the original Wood Hall, named as Wood Hall Farmhouse when Henry William Maister built “The New Hall” (above). Pevsner suggested that the house was built in 1798 with “Five bays of brown brick with red brick details. It stands on a moated site.”
The photograph shows the farmhouse, and adjoining cottage, with a section of the original moat in the foreground.
Grade II Listed Building: ID 166692
Some Notable Houses