Wood House Farm (Now demolished)


This farmhouse was situated off Jackey Lane. In the nineteenth century,  the 100 acre property was farmed by the Bigland family. Their name is perpetuated in the nearby “Bigland’s Plump” (a group of trees) and “Bigland’s Belt” (a narrow strip of trees).

The farmhouse was demolished in the 1980’s. The land is now farmed by Mr P Foxton.


Photograph by courtesy of Mr D Dawson.

THE FARMS OF ELLERBY






Farmhouses in italics have been demolished

Dowthorpe Hall Farm

Field House Farm

Grange Farm

Ivy Farm

Lodge Farm

Manor Farm

Marton Grange

Mill Farm

Oubrough Farm

Roe Hill Farm

Wood House Farm

Wood Hall Farm

Roe Hill Farm (When ruinous)


This derelict farmhouse was situated between Woodhall Park and Burton Constable Hall.

In 1851, the farm was occupied by Jane Towl (cowkeeper). Roe Hill Cottage was occupied by Robert Brigham (gamekeeper).


Photograph © Paul Glazzard and licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Licence.

Wood Hall Farm


This is the original Wood Hall, named as Wood Hall Farmhouse when Henry William Maister built “The New Hall” (above). Pevsner suggested that the house was built in 1798 with “Five bays of brown brick with red brick details. It stands on a moated site.”

The photograph shows the farmhouse, and adjoining cottage, with a section of the original moat in the foreground.


Grade II Listed Building: ID 166692

V 2.2

Farms Past and Present

HOME SERVICES A-E NEWS HISTORY PLACES GALLERY NOTICES CONTACT US